Tableau Software just released Tableau 10.2 today. This feature packed release adds a plethora of exciting new capabilities for analytics professionals and practical functionality for government Section 508 usability and accessibility guidelines that are lacking in most other visualization platforms.
Tableau 10.2 release highlights include:
- Python Integration New Python language integration enables advanced users and data scientists to call on Python scripts from within the Tableau calculation window using TabPy. Customers can use this functionality to develop advanced-analytics applications, and visualize their predictive models from Python in Tableau.
- Spatial File Connector In addition to Tableau’s existing rich mapping capabilities, Tableau now connects directly to ESRI Shapefiles, KML, GeoJSON and MapInfo file types.
- 60+ Data Connectors With 10.2, Tableau now boasts 60+ native data connectors. Latest connectors include: Anaplan, Eloqua, Apache Drill, Microsoft SharePoint, JSON and Marketo. Many of these connectors are enhanced by Tableau engineering staff in partnership with data source vendors.
- Better SAP BW Connectivity Tableau 10.2 provides fine-grained controls over guest access to help ensure governance, and also improves the connectivity with SAP BW with Single Sign-on support. Tableau can now support the security rules defined in SAP BW and ensure that users can only see the data that they are authorized to see.
- Improved Data Prep This latest version now lets users union tables from a database and easily combine fields for joins leveraging database structure and schemas more efficiently. Tableau 10.2 can automatically recognize dates (there are more than 250 ways to represent a date) and make dates uniform with just one click, no scripting or complex calculations required. In addition, transforming data from a string to a date type is easier with Automatic DateParse.
- Section 508 Usability Tableau visualizations can now be made conformant to the current Web Content Accessibility Guidelines drafted by the Web Accessibility Initiative, commonly referenced as WCAG 2.0 AA. For government and public agency projects, this enhancement is key for delivering analytics to the general public.
The full interactive overview of new features in Tableau 10.2 is available at www.tableau.com/new-features/10.2.
Additional Areas of Investment
Tableau Software is also investing in verticals and enterprise initiatives.
- Focus on IT/Enterprise Tableau touts enterprise deployments at companies like Boston Scientific, Deloitte, AmeriPride and VMware where strong partnerships between IT and the business are happening. They are investing in more resources to better equip IT to successfully evaluate and deploy analytics. A solutions page designed specifically for IT is at https://www.tableau.com/enterprise-IT.
- Healthcare industry More and more customers are using Tableau to drive decisions with healthcare analytics, including Seattle Children’s, Stamford Hospital, Piedmont Healthcare, and UMHS. With growing customer numbers and larger deployments in the healthcare industry, they’ve built a sales team focused specifically on enabling healthcare customers. They also have a healthcare-specific user group, solutions page and are publishing best practices to guides for customers Five Best Practices to Enable Population Health Management and Four ways data is improving healthcare operations.
- Retail & Consumer Goods Tableau recently announced that 73% of the NRF Top 100 retailers use Tableau. They are seeing success with large deployments at companies like Redfin, GoPro, and PepsiCo. They also added best practices research, and new ways of exploring retail data including Six Trends in Retail Analytics for 2017 and Solutions Page for Retailers.